Thursday, November 18, 2010

MASTERFUL ART BY TERRY DODSON

A Salute to a Great Man, plus Marvel Comics Generation X

Terry Dodson started his career as a comic artist back in 1991 at Revolutionary Comics. Since then he has worked for Dark Horse, Malibu Comics, DC Comics and Marvel Comics. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him, and I've been following his work since 1998/1999, when he was drawing a series called Generation X.

Since then he's drawn a host of series, penciling them to perfection while his talented wife, Rachael, does the inking. Here are some classic covers from my comic book collection, showcasing his magnificent work.

    


   

[Above: Generation X covers, drawn by Terry Dodson & inked by Rachael Dodson]



Evolution is something that no artist/creator should be afraid of.
I remember being told by an animator in Atlanta many years ago: "We never stop learning."
He was in his 60s and I was in my 20s. And back then [while I was working on an animated project to be pitched to Disney called D2] I could draw, but didn't know a damn thing about Photoshop. That man was the one who inspired me to make the leap from classic coloring on paper to digital coloring on a screen. And since then I am grateful that someone inspired me to reach higher.

Terry Dodson is also an inspiration to me in that area, because he also has never stopped learning. Today he is a digital colorist as well, giving life to his own work after his wife places her expert finishing touches to it:


    

[Above: prelim pencils and colors for Xmen #7, drawn & colored by Terry Dodson]

 

[Above: Namor, Colossus and Wonder Woman by Terry Dodson]

If you desire to be great, you have to learn your craft from a great mentor. And at the top of my list of art mentors is Terry Dodson. I hope that one day I can be half as talented as he is.

Terry Dodson's Devianart gallery: http://terrydodson.deviantart.com/


.

.

WEBLINK TO THE NEW $0.99 EBOOK, TITLED "DSNG TALES: UNUSUAL SUSPECT" [Click the Banner below!]